God’s love is displayed for us in the life and death of Jesus. We rejoice in this love, and celebrate the victory over sin and death won for us. As a community, we praise God’s holy name.
Penitential Rite: Sometimes our words and actions do not match each other. We call to mind our sins: (pause) I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Ezekiel 18:25-28 — Ezekiel reminds us that our actions have consequences.
Philippians 2:1-11 — Contains Paul’s ancient hymn to Christ, which is read each year during the liturgy of Palm Sunday.
Matthew 21: 28-32 — Jesus teaches us that God wants our full commitment, not lip-service.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord’s mercy never ends, so we present our prayers with confidence.
- For the leaders of the Church, that they may sincerely and fully live the message they preach. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For people who feel they are beyond God’s mercy, that they may know the welcome extended to those who change their ways. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who are on the margins of society, for men and women who are exploited, that justice and equality may prevail in our land. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who endure sickness, in mind or body, that the support of friends may remind them of God’s healing care. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who have suffered death (especially N and N), that they may be raised to life through Jesus’ resurrection. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For a moment, we remember in silence our own particular needs…. (Long pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God of endless goodness, your love and mercy have no end: hear the prayers your people make in faith, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitentiual Rite a (Confiteor). Alternative opening prayer. Second reading (full form). Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 6. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 10 (Sundays in Ordinary Time 1).
Songs ‘Here I Am, Lord’; ‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘The King of Love My Shepherd is’