The fourth Sunday of Easter is often called Good Shepherd Sunday, because the readings are about the care we receive from Christ, our true shepherd. Today is also the day of prayer for vocations.
Penitential Rite: Knowing the God cares for us every step of the way, we rely on divine forgiveness:
Lord Jesus, you have shown us the way to the Father, etc…
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 2:14, 36-41 Just like last week, St Peter’s words are found in the first two readings. The first contains another part of his speech on Pentecost day, and the second is again part of one of his letters (where Peter calls Chirst the shepherd and guardian of our souls).
1 Peter 2:20-25 Here Peter calls Christ the shepherd and guardian of our souls.
John 10:1-10 Jesus describes himself as the gate of the sheepfold, who comes that we might have life to the full.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) Confident that God’s care is boundless, let us bring forward our prayers.
Intercessions (announced by the deacon, cantor, or another person)
- For the pastors of the Church,that they may imitate Christ, the Good Shepherd. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For young people, that they may be open to the call to serve God’s people. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For members of the caring professions,that the gentle love of Christ may inspire them. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who work on the land,that their labour may bear fruit in a rich harvest. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all who have died in Christ (especially N & N), that may dwell in God’s house forever. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Loving God, like a caring shepherd you bring us along the right path: Hear our prayers and grant us your help, through Christ our Lord. Amen
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Today is the Day of Prayer for Vocations: perhaps a speaker on the topic might offer a reflection during Mass. Penitential Rite c-vii. Preface of Easter 2. Eucharistic Prayer 3. Solemn Blessing 7 (Easter Season).
‘The Lord’s My Shepherd’; ‘My Soul is Longing for your Peace’; ‘Shepherd me O God’.