The following suggestion is based on a diocesan proposal submitted to Cashel Diocese from Roy Donovan.
It has been adapted slightly for a national level and to take account of the fact that it is now recommended that no more than four people gather at any outdoor function.
Any other ideas of marking Easter this year?
Since the first posting earlier on 27 March events have again very quickly overtaken us with the new Public Health regulation “All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited.“
1. Light a Paschal fire on the Rock of Cashel for Easter Vigil.
It could be done in each province –
Rock of Cashel, Hill of Tara, Croagh Patrick, Armagh.
2. Light a 12-foot National Paschal Candle from the fire (like in Lourdes)
3. Message – Christ is Risen. Prayer – dispel the darkness/COVID-19
4. When normal life resumes the light can be dispersed to all dioceses and parishes.
5. Have it televised so all can participate.
(If not nationally certainly widely via social media)
Needs to be a brief 5 minutes ceremony and needs to reach out to everyone. Message very short – Christ is Risen.
A few short prayers.