This hour of worship brings us into the presence of the God whose mystery we can never comprehend. All we have comes from the Lord, and we can only bow down in awe, and bring forward the praise that is due to the Almighty.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
you sent your Son among us
to reveal your wisdom
and make known your ways.
Increase our faith,
that we may confess Jesus as your Son,
take up his work on earth,
and trust his promise to sustain the Church.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 22:19-23 — God exercises his authority, removing one leader and replacing him with another.
Romans 11:33-36 — Paul reminds us that God is beyond our understanding, that no one can claim to have figured out the mind of God.
Matthew 116:13-20 — Peter is given authority on the basis of his act of faith.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers into God’s presence, remembering that God’s love for us is eternal.
- For our Pope N, and our bishop N, that they may preach God’s word with wisdom and faith (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all in positions of authority, in church and state, that they may serve with humility and gentleness (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have suffered through the abuse of power, that healing and new strength may be theirs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who travel on pilgrimage, to Knock and the other great shrines, that they may travel safely and return home refreshed (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For Christians in Australia and the islands of Oceania, that they may announce the faith to their neighbours (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the leaders of the Church who have died, that they may join their saintly predecessors in the Father’s house (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The Presider prays for local needs: For our own needs, for those who have asked our prayers —whom we remember now (long pause for quiet prayer)… And for all the faithful departed (especially N and N): Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of love, you never discard the work of your hands: hear the prayers we make to you, in trust, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘Be Thou My Vision’; ‘Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise’; ‘Be Not Afraid’.