Posting Comments on ACP website
Following deliberations it has been decided to introduce some changes with how comments are posted on the ACP website.
The topic of publishing anonymous comments was discussed previously on the site.
There is growing awareness of how some people, or organisations, can target websites using multiple identities to distort commentary. Also, most of the more derogatory comments that appear on blogs and websites are made by people posting anonymously, under a pseudonym, or using a false identity.
Because of such concerns some sites no longer accept comments from readers. It is hoped that we can continue to include comments and afford people the opportunity to exchange viewpoints and opinions, no matter how different, in non threatening, non insulting language.
Currently all comments on our site are moderated with the intent of keeping commentary respectful to all. The changes to be introduced in the near future will introduce an added protection in that all who post comments will be required to use their full name. (After entering your full name the first time your own computer should do so automatically when you post another comment) Also, they may be asked to verify their identity. Many regular posters already use their full names and their identities are well known.
Except in exceptional circumstances anonymous articles or comments will not be published and if they are it will only happen after the identity of the author has been verified by the editor of the site.
Comments are also moderated in order to keep the site as user friendly as possible and to this end some guidance is offered about length of comments, the frequency of commenting, links to other sites, etc. so that others may be inclined to comment and don’t see the comment section as being the preserve of a few.
The guidelines below will become operative in the near future.
- Your comment must include your full name and email. (email will not be published)
- You may be contacted by email, and it is possible you might be requested to supply your postal address to verify your identity.
- Be respectful. Do not attack the writer. Take on the idea, not the messenger. Comments containing vulgarities, personalised insults, slanders or accusations shall be deleted.
- Keep to the point. Deliberate digressions don’t aid the discussion.
- Including multiple links or coding in your comment will increase the chances of it being automatically marked as spam.
- Posts that are merely links to other sites or lengthy quotes may not be published.
- Keep you comments as short as possible; continued repetition of the same point over various threads will not be published.
- The decision to publish or not publish a comment is made by the site editor. It will not be possible to reply individually to those whose comments are not published.
Many thanks to all who share viewpoints in a respectful manner. It is hoped that more may venture to do so in the future and that we may learn from dialogue and debate.