On our journey through life, we pause here for a while, to offer worship and praise. We remember God’s goodness and ask for the gift of wisdom as we continue to hurry towards the Kingdom.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of wisdom,
whose word probes the motives of our hearts,
with you all things are possible.
Let worldly treasure not keep us from Jesus,
who looks on us with love.
Free us to leave all things and follow him,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Wisdom 7:7-11 — A reflection on the gift of wisdom, presented as the greatest gift anyone could receive.
Hebrews 4:12-13 — God’s word is powerful, it cuts through us and exposes what is wrong
Mark 10:17-30 — The rich young seeks a simple way of entering heaven, since money is no problem to him. Jesus tells him money itself is a problem, but then reassures that God can save all, whatever their wealth
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord shows pity to all who serve, so we can ask for help and guidance, and present our needs.
- For those gathered in Rome for the Synod on the Family, that the Holy Spirit may guide them (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all the baptised, that they may have the divine gifts of wisdom and prudence (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who have left everything to follow Christ, that their promised reward may keep them going in difficult times (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have been blessed with wealth, that they may never forget the poor people on their doorstep (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For refugees and migrants, that wealthy nations may welcome and support the needy (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For young people, that they may make the Christian ideals their own (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For those who have died (especially N and N), that the light of God’s glory may shine on them (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Lord, your favour shines out upon us, you give success to the work of our hands: help us according to our needs, we pray, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘All People That on Earth Do Dwell’ ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘The King of Love my Shepherd Is’; ‘Lord of All Hopefulness’.