This year’s Mission Sunday theme is summed up in two words: ‘Abundant Life’. This theme brings to mind the scope of the mission of Christians, which is to give something to eat, somewhere to sleep and something to believe in to those without.
Opening Prayer from the 1998 ICEL Missal (For the Spread of the Gospel)
it is your will that all should be saved
and come to the knowledge of the truth.
Look upon your abundant harvest
and send workers to preach the gospel to every creature,
so that your people, gathered by the word of life
and supported by the power of the sacraments,
may advance in the way of salvation and love.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 53:10-11 — The suffering of the Lord can be seen beforehand in the words written by Isaiah
Hebrews 4:14-16 — In Jesus we have a high priest who was tempted as we are. He will have mercy on us.
Mark 10:42-45 —The true follower of Jesus is to like the Master: a humble servant.
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord is our help and our shield, so let us bring forward our intentions with confidence:
- For communities around the world who celebrate the Eucharist today, that they may make Christ present to the world (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who are suffering, that we may be sensitive to people struggling with heavy burdens (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the spirit of service among Christians — that we may support each other (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For missionaries and the people among whom they work, that we may not forget to pray for them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the sick, the lonely, the elderly and the bereaved — that they may be comforted (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For a blessing on our community, that God may help us fill the world with his love (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead : For our dead (especially N and N, and for deceased missionaries from this parish): that the Lord may rescue their souls from death (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God, the creator of all, you fill the earth with your love: we rejoice in your faithfulness as we present these prayers to you, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘Be Thou My Vision’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Will you Let me be your Servant?’; ‘Go Tell Everyone’.