Throughout the Easter season, the Church continues to announce and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of all the prophets,
you fulfilled your promise of old
that your Christ would suffer and so rise to glory.
Open our minds to understand the Scriptures
and fill us with joyful wonder in the presence of the risen Christ,
that we may be his witnesses to the farthest reaches of the earth.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, the firstborn from the dead,
who lives and reigns with you now and always
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 3:13-15, 17-19 — Peter shows the people that what happened to Jesus was in accordance with God’s plan.
1 John 2:1-5 — Jesus is the one who takes away our sins. If we follow his way, we will live in love.
Luke 24:35-48 — Jesus shows he is no ghost, but fully human. In his name, repentance is to be preached to all the nations.
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord grants favours to those whom he loves, so we make our prayers known, with hope.
- For all who follow Christ, that their faith in the resurrection of Jesus may deepen (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who renewed their baptismal promises at Easter, that any lingering doubts may be dispersed (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For missionaries and all who spread the Good News about Jesus, that the joy of Easter may give them fresh zeal (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For Christians who suffer for their faith, that the Risen Lord may give them courage (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the Jewish people, the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, that they may arrive at the fullness of redemption (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who suffer, in mind, body or spirit, that they may experience divine healing and new strength (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For those who have died recently (especially N & N), that God’s light may shine on them perpetually (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God our salvation, your glory shines throughout the world to bring joy to your people:
hear our prayers and grant us your all-powerful grace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) Jesus Christ is Risen Today’, ‘Christ is Alive’, ‘He is Lord’.