On All Saints Day and today, we remember all the dead, those in heaven and those still be on the way there: God alone knows where each soul is. Today we pray for all souls, for the faithful departed still on the journey to their heavenly home.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of loving-kindness,
listen favourably to our prayers:
strengthen our belief that your Son has risen from the dead
and our hope that your departed servants will also rise again.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 25: 6-9 A beautiful vision of the heavenly banquet that awaits believers, a sign of God’s salvation.
Romans 5: 5-11 Our hope comes from the death of Christ: through it, we can know how much we are loved by God.
Matthew 11:25-26 Jesus calls the burdened to himself, with a promise to help them bear the yoke of grief and loss.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, the Lord is our light and our help, so let us bring our prayers to God.
- For all who follow Christ, that their faith in life after death may be strong (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our friends and family members who have died, that they may rest in pease (pause for silent prayer). Lord hear us.
- For those lost through war or violence, that the tragedy of their deaths may make people work for peace (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have died before their time, through accidents or suicide, that their loss may remind us of the sacredness of life (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people overcome by grief, that the power of Christ’s love may lift them up and renew their hope (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the forgotten souls, members of our parish, our community, that they may always have the benefit of prayers offered here (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for all the souls — on this, their day:
For all our relatives and friends who have gone before us in faith, whom we remember now (pause)
and for the priests and people who worshipped here through the ages (pause)
that they all may behold the Lord’s temple in the new and eternal Jerusalem (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of light, to live in your house is the desire of all your children: hear our prayers and help us in all our needs, through Christ our Lord.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) “My Soul Is Longing For Your Peace”; “Be Not Afraid”; “Shepherd Me O God”; “Now The Green Blade Rises”; Abide With Me”.