In just over ten days time, the Easter Triduum will begin, at sunset on Holy Thursday. Today we pray for all the adults and children who will be baptised at Easter. And we ask that we may be fit and ready to renew our own baptismal promises.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
In our hearts, O God,
you have written a covenant of grace,
sealed by the obedience of Jesus your Son.
Raise us up with Christ,
the grain fallen to earth that yields a harvest of everlasting life.
Bring us to glorify your name
by following faithfully where he has led.
We ask this through Christ, our deliverance and hope,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
holy and mighty God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Jeremiah 31:31-34 — A promise of a new covenant, a ‘new deal’ between God and all people, built on love and forgiveness.
Hebrews 5:7-9 — Jesus is the perfect model for us to imitate, because he shows us what obedience is all about.
John 12:20-30 — Jesus explains that he does God’s will always, even by dying. But in his death, his glory is seen.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us bring our prayers to God, the source of mercy and compassion.
- For all who are preparing to celebrate baptism at Easter time (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For obedience to the will of God among the followers of Christ (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For Christians being persecuted for their faith today (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the continuing faithfulness to God’s word of our Jewish brothers and sisters (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who hunger and thirst, in many nations, today (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the people in need in this community, particularly our sick (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For all who have gone before us in faith, especially N & N (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of mercy and compassion, you give new heart to your people: hear the prayers we make in faith, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions): ‘Praise to the Holiest’; ‘Grant to us O Lord’; ‘God of Mercy and Compassion’.