Opening Comment (Presiders)
Traditionally, this Sunday is called Laetare Sunday, which means ‘a day for joy’. Lent is half over, and the celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus is nearer. At this midpoint of Lent, it is traditional to honour mothers, treasuring those still with us and praying for those we have lost to death.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God our Creator,
show forth your mighty works in the midst of your people.
Enlighten your Church,
that we may know your Son as the true light of the world
and through our worship confess him
as Christ and Lord,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
holy and mighty God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (Ministers of the Word)
Samuel 16:1, 6-7, 10-13 — God’s choice of the young boy Samuel is described in the first reading. Ephesians 5:8-14 — The second reading and Gospel both reflect on light and darkness, and the new sight that believers can have. John 9:1-41 — The healing of the man born blind is described: believers also need to go from blindness to new sight.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, let us turn to God for help.
- For the Church, that it may be a sign of light and hope (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those responsible for the common good, that they may work hard on behalf of everyone, especially the weak (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who experience the sufferings of life, that they may not be crushed by temptation (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people afflicted by blindness or limited sight, that they may benefit from our sensitivity and support (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the mothers of this community, and for all who care for children, that joy may be theirs, in this life and the next (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For mothers who have died, whom we remember with love, that they may dwell in God’s house forever (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God, source of forgiveness, in Jesus you have given us freedom of heart: hear our prayers and help us to do your will, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SUGGESTED SONGS FOR MASS: ‘Amazing Grace’, ‘Christ Be Our Light’, ‘Grant To Us O Lord’.