Opening Comment (for the Presider)
The Gospel of Christ is challenging. Today’s readings ask for decisions, while encouraging us to choose the right path. We gather to worship God, who can help us in all our choices.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
All-seeing God, you alone judge rightly our inmost thoughts.
Teach us to observe your law from the heart even as we keep it outwardly.
Purify our desires, calm every anger, and reconcile us to one another.
Then will our worship at your altar render you perfect praise.
We make our prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Ecclesiasticus 15:15-20 — invites us to make the choice that will bring us life.
1 Corinthinas 2:6-10 — tells us we have great wisdom available to us.
Matthew 7:17-37 The section of Matthew’s Gospel we’re reading began with the Beatitudes; today’s Gospel explains what they mean.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, let us pray to God, the source of all wisdom.
- For all who follow Christ, that they may follow his example of right living (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who have fallen out with each other, that they may hear the Gospel call to make peace (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For those outside the fold, that they may be drawn in by the goodness of Christians (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people facing difficult decisions, that God’s gift of wisdom may be given them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those suffering as a result of the bad weather, that they may have the help they need (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For our own needs, for those who have asked our prayers —whom we remember now (long pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead, (especially N. and N.) that they may share in all that God has prepared for those who love him.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Gracious God, you lead your people along the right path, hear our prayers and give us the help we need today, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (suggestions for Ministers of Music) ‘Love is his Word’; ‘O the Love of my Lord’; ‘Shalom’; ‘A New Commandment”; “Walk in the Light”, “Let us Build the City of God”.