Each Sunday in Easter time, we celebrate the gifts we have received in Baptism and Confirmation. We rejoice that the Spirit is our Advocate, who continues to support us in the difficulties of life.
Penitential Rite: As we gather for this celebration, we rely on the Spirit’s help in our weakness (pause) You raise the dead to life in the Spirit etc.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 8:5-8, 14-17 — Describes the continuing successes in the early Church, and the giving of the Spirit to new believers.
1 Peter 3:15-18 — Peter writes that Christians should be able to give a reason for the hope that is in them.
John 14:15-21 — Jesus repeats his commandment of love, and promises the gift of the Spirit.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) The works of God are tremendous, so with confidence we make our prayers known.
- For those who are celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation this year, that the Spirit may be their guide throughout life. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all the people of God, that the Spirit may help them explain their faith to people who are searching. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For those who are crippled or paralysed, that the Spirit of power and strength may help them each day. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For young people preparing for exams, that the Spirit may remind them of all they have learned. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For our brothers and sisters who have died (especially N & N), that they may be raised to life in the Spirit. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For this community and all our own needs, (which we remember in silence — long pause for silent prayer) that God’s Spirit may always sustain us. Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of love and compassion, you never reject our prayer: Let your good Spirit guide us each day, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions
Penitential Rite c-v. First Opening Prayer. Preface of Easter 4. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 7 (Easter Season).
‘Christ Be Beside Me’; Spirit of the Living God’; ‘Ubi Caritas (Taizé)’