We gather as pilgrims on a journey, asking God to keep us steadfast until we reach our eternal home. In the Spirit, let us worship God who cares for us according to our needs.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of the heavens,
God of the earth,
all creation awaits your gift of new life.
Prepare our hearts
to receive the word of your Son,
that his gospel may grow within us
and yield a harvest that is a hundredfold.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 55:10-11 & Matthew 13:1-23 — The first reading and Gospel both describe the sowing of seeds of faith and the production of a successful crop in our lives. Romans 8:18-23 — Paul tells us that our sufferings here can’t be compared with the glory awaiting us.
Introduction (by the Presider) My friends, the Lord crowns our lives with goodness, so we present our intercessions with confidence:
- For the members of the Church, that their hearts may hear God’s word and understand it (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For new converts to the Christian faith, that the Word of God may be firmly rooted in their lives (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all whose faith is weak, that the love of God may make them what they are called to be (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who bring the Good News to the ends of the earth, that the Holy Spirit may support the work of the laity who proclaim the Gospel in the poorest countries (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For farmers and all who depend on the soil for their livelihood, that this year’s crop may satisfy their needs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who are far from home, for work or on holidays, that they may experience kindness, and travel in safety (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For all Irish people who have died in war or in the service of the United Nations, (and for N. & N.), that they may share the glory awaiting all believers (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our creator, you provide for the earth and for all who live,
listen to the prayer we make to you today, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (suggestions) ‘How Lovely on the Mountains’;‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Now Thank We All Our God’.