We gather in the love of God, redeemed in the death and resurrection of Jesus. We are people with a mission, challenged to grow in love each day. We ask God for divine help with this mission, today and during the coming week.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of all nations,
in the gift of your Son
you have embraced the world
with a love that takes away our sin
and bestows perfect joy.
Grant to all who have been reborn in baptism
fidelity in serving you
and generosity in loving one another.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, the firstborn from the dead,
who lives and reigns with you now and always
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 10:25-26, 34-35, 44-48 — Peter once believed that the message of salvation was only for Jews. But in this part of the story of the early Church, he sees the Holy Spirit given to Cornelius, a Roman. As a result, he preaches that all can be baptised.
1 John 4:7-10 — The sign that we know God is that we love each other.
John 15:9-17 — We are called to lay down our lives for each other, as Jesus did for us.
Introduction (by the Presider) Sisters and brothers, let us pray to the Lord of love.
- For the Church, that all who are part of it may be known by their love for each other (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who follow Christ, that they may care for their neighbours who suffer, especially the sick and the poor (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For men and women of good will, that they may reject the culture of indifference and look after those in need (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who seek the truth, that the Spirit may help them to find it, in Jesus (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For young people who celebrate Confirmation this year, that the gifts of the Spirit may make them real Christians (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who suffer in mind or body, that the love of friends and neighbours may remind them of God’s care (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For those whose sufferings are over — for all our dead, (especially N & N), that they may experience eternal life and love in heaven (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Ever-loving God, we sing a song of praise to your name, for you have worked wonders: continue to guide your people, and hear our prayers, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘Jesus Christ is Risen Today’, ‘Love is his Word’, ‘This is my will’, ‘Sing a New Song Unto the Lord’.