We gather as pilgrims on a journey, asking God to keep us steadfast until we reach our eternal home. In the Spirit, let us worship God who cares for us according to our needs.
Penitential Rite: Because the seeds of faith may not have fully taken root in our lives, let us call to mind our sins: (pause) I confess …
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 55:10-11 — The first reading and Gospel both describe the sowing of seeds of faith and the production of a successful crop in our lives.
Romans 8:18-23 — Paul tells us that our sufferings here can’t be compared with the glory awaiting us.
Matthew 13:1-23 — Jesus uses the parable of the sower and explains it.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) My friends, the Lord crowns our lives with goodness, so we present our intercessions with confidence:
- For the members of the Church, that their hearts may be always hear God’s word and understand it. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For new converts to the Christian faith, that the Word of God may be firmly rooted in their lives. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For all whose faith is weak, that the love of God may make them what they are called to be. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For farmers and all who depend on the soil for their livelihood, that this year’s crop may satisfy their needs. (Pause for silent prayer)Lord, hear us.
- For those who are far from home, for work or on holidays, that they may experience kindness, and travel in safety. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- On this National Day of Commemoration, we pray for all Irish people who have died in war or in the service of the United Nations, (and for N. who died recently and N. whose anniversaries occur), that they may share the glory awaiting all believers. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our creator, you provide for the earth and for all who live, listen to the prayer we make to you today, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Other Liturgical Suggestions Penitential rite a. Gospel (full form). Preface of Sundays in Ordinary Time 5. Eucharistic Prayer 3. Solemn Blessing 11 (Ordinary Time 2).
Songs: ‘How Lovely on the Mountains’;‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Now Thank We All Our God’.