Everyone is welcome in God’s house, everyone who loves God’s name. We gather to experience the warmth of this embrace.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of the nations,
to your table all are invited
and in your family no one is a stranger.
Satisfy the hunger
of those gathered in this house of prayer,
and mercifully extend to all the peoples on earth
the joy of salvation and faith.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 56:1, 6-7 — God’s laws are simple to understand: even foreigners can live by them. Our God is the god of all people.
Romans 11:13-15, 29-32 — Paul longs to see the Jews realise that Jesus is their Messiah, even though he admits God’s plan is beyond our understanding.
Matthew 15:21-28 — The Canaanite woman was persistent, a reminder that persistent faith is fruitful.
Introduction (by the Presider) God sheds his light on us, so we bring our prayers with confidence:
- That people of every nation, race, colour and religion may be united in working for justice and integrity (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- That those who follow Christ may never forget that all are welcome on God’s holy mountain (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- That in our daily lives, we may show love to the people from other countries who live in our midst (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- That those who receive exam results at this time of year, may find happiness in life, with a deep faith to guide them. (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- That all who suffer, in mind, body or spirit, may experience Christ’s healing power (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- That those whose faith is known to God alone may come at the end of their lives to God’s holy mountain (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The priest prays for local needs: For our brothers and sisters who have died (especially N & N) that all may be united in their heavenly home (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Gracious God, all the nations find their help in you: teach us to trust in your love as you grant our petitions, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘All the ends of the earth’; ‘Glory and Praise to our God’; ‘Sing a New Song’.