Presider’s Page for 5th Sun. Easter (18 May)
Today’s liturgy puts the life-giving words of Jesus before us. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, the one in whom we can place all our trust. Because we believe these things, we gather to praise God.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from ICEL Missal 1998)
We have beheld your glory, O God, in the face of Christ Jesus, your Son.
Enliven our faith, that through Christ we may put our trust in you.
Deepen our faith, that in Christ we may serve you.
Complete our faith, that one day we may live with you
in that place which Christ prepares for us,
where he lives with you now and always
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 6:1-7 — This describes the selection of the first deacons, a response to a pressing need in the early Church.
1 Peter 2:4-9 — Peter writes about our calling as Christians.
John 14:1-12 — Jesus describes himself as our saviour, the one who prepares a place for us.
Introduction (by the Presider): The Lord looks on those who revere him, so let us make our prayers known to him.
- For those who serve the Church as deacons — that they may be good servants (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who work in the caring professions — that God may heal people through them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people at risk, especially the homeless and the poor — that Christians may look after them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those preparing for exams or sitting them — that God may inspire and help (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For children receiving First Holy Communion — that their faith may keep on growing (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people anxious about dying — that the Lord’s words may console them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: ‘For all who have left this world, in the hope of rising again (especially N & N),
that they may be where Christ is, eternally (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Father in heaven, we place all our hope in you, as we entrust these prayers to your love, confident that you will grant them, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions): ‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘May Your Love Be Upon Us, O Lord’; ‘Take and Eat’.