Opening Comment (for the Presider)
On All Saints Day and today, we remember all the dead, those in heaven and those still be on the way there: God alone knows where each soul is. Today we pray for all souls, for the faithful departed still on the journey to their heavenly home. Penitential Rite: As we prepare ourselves to renew our trust in God’s mercy, let us call to mind our sins: (pause) You raise the dead to life in the Spirit … You bring pardon and peace to the sinner … You bring light to those in darkness: Lord, have mercy.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Daniel 12:1-3 — A prophecy of what will happen at the end of time, when those sleeping in the earth will arise. Those whose names are written in the Book of Life will be spared
Romans 14:7-12 — The life and death of each of us has its influence on others.
Luke 7:11-17 — Jesus raises the widow’s son at Nain, showing the God’s power is not defeated by death.
Introduction (by the Presider) We are on the journey to see the face of God, so let us ask for help in the struggles we face:
- For all who follow Christ, that their faith in eternal life after death may be strong (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For men and women who have been lost because of war or violence, that the tragedy of their deaths may spur humanity to build a world of peace and tolerance (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For young people who have died before their time, and for parents who have endured the loss of a child, that the One who raised the widow’s son may bring hope, light and peace (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For all who have died tragically, in accidents or by suicide, that God who holds dear all he has made may raise them up (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all our relatives, friends and fellow parishioners who have gone before us in faith, particularly those who have died in the past year (pause) that they may have the fullness of eternal joy. (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God, desire of the nations, our souls thirst for you, we seek your presence: hear the prayers we make in faith, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music) ‘The Lord’s My Shepherd’; ‘My Soul Is Longing For Your Peace’; ‘Be Not Afraid’; ‘Abide with Me’.