4th Sunday Ordinary Time – Intercessions etc
We come together to listen to God’s word and share the bread of life together. As God’s family here, we praise the one who has rescued us from sin and darkness, and brought us the hope of heaven.
Penitential Rite: Let us celebrate God’s mercy by calling to mind those sins of ours he takes away (pause)… You raise the dead to life in the Spirit…..
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Deuteronomy 18:15-20 — A prophet is promised to the people, to speak in God’s name. Christians see this prophecy fulfilled in Jesus’ preaching.
1 Corinthians 7:32-35 — Paul seems to be downplaying marriage, but his passion is for the Kingdom. He wants his followers in Corinth to give undivided attention to the Lord, before all else.
Mark 1:21-28 — Jesus teaching makes a deep impression on people when he takes on the forces of evil.
The General Intercessions
Introduction (by the Presider) As the people belonging to God’s pasture, let us bring our prayers before the Lord who saves us.
- For the prophets of today, who challenge all of humanity, that they may have divine help in spreading the message of justice and truth (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- On this World Leprosy Day, we remember all who suffer from Hansen’s Disease and pray that this scourge may soon become a memory (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the families and communities grieving after the sinking of the trawler off the coast of Cork, and for the speedy recovery of all the bodies of the lost (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have died recently (especially N and N), and all our dead, that they may dwell in the Lord’s house forever (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all our own needs, which we remember quietly (long pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God our shepherd, you gently lead your people by your hand: hear the prayers we make and graciously answer them, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Liturgical Suggestions Penitential Rite c-iv (page 1386). Preface I of Sundays in Ordinary Time (page 440). Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 12 (Ordinary Time IV, page 554). Songs: ‘All people that on earth do dwell’; ‘Holy God we praise Thy Name’; ‘The Lord’s my Shepherd’.
Thanks for these.