Presider’s Page for 19 October (Ordinary Time 29)
Mission Sunday is celebrated today. Its theme is “That we may have life…” We come to the source of life and pray that the life of Christ might be in us and in all of humankind.
Alternative Opening Prayer (Mass for the Universal Church — 1998 ICEL Missal)
In your wonderful providence, O God,
you willed that the kingdom of Christ
should extend throughout the earth
and that all people should partake in his saving redemption;
grant that your Church may be the sacrament of universal salvation,
to reveal and accomplish the mystery of your love for all.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 45:1, 4-6 — Cyrus the unbeliever is chosen by God to do a job, the job of being a good leader
1 Thessalonians 1:1-5 — For next couple of Sundays we read passages from Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians. The letter opens today with Paul commending the people of Salonika for their faith.
Matthew 22:15-21 — The Pharisees try to trap Jesus with word games.
Introduction (by the Presider) Let us make our needs known to the God of glory and power.
- For those who lead the Church, the pope and all the bishops, that they may lead with faith and courage (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all missionaries, that God may help and sustain them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all believers, that Mission Sunday may give them zeal for carrying the Gospel into the world (pause for silent prayer) . Lord, hear us.
- For leaders of nations, and all those elected to serve us, that they may fight corruption and injustice (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For tax collectors and all who work for the state, that they may respect the rights of all citizens (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who collect money during our liturgies, and for all who contribute, that God may reward generous hearts (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for deceased missionaries (and for all who have gone before us in faith, especially N and N): that God may call them to his side in heaven (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of glory and power, you will judge the peoples fairly: hear the prayers we make and graciously grant them, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions): ‘All People That On Earth Do Dwell’; All That I Am’; How Great Thou Art’; ‘Go Tell Everyone’.