Opening Comment (for the Presider)
We gather to worship the Lord of glory, asking for help to be God’s servants before all else. Penitential Rite: Before we listen to God’s challenging Word, let us call to mind our sins, relying on the divine mercy: (pause) Lord Jesus, you have shown us the way to the Father … Lord Jesus, you have given us the consolation of the truth … Lord Jesus, you are the Good Shepherd, leading us into everlasting life: Lord, have mercy.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Amos 8: 4-7 A warning to treat others justly.
1 Timothy 2: 1-8 Paul reminds us to offer prayers for everyone.
Luke 16, 1-13 We cannot be slaves both of God and money.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, St Paul advises that we pray for everyone, as this will please God our saviour. Let us bring forward our needs with confidence.
- For all who minister in the Church (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For religious tolerance, and an end to persecution (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our leaders and for everyone in authority over us (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have been unjustly treated in any way (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For vicitms of war and hatred in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For our friends and members of our families who have died (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider): God of glory and majesty, you stoop from the heights to lift up the poor: hear the prayers of all who praise you, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
NOTE: Since the Second Reading emphasises the value of intercessions, make these a point of focus in this Mass. Remind people that the Prayer of the Faithul is their time of prayer, particularly in the moments of silence provided after the intentions are announced. Emphasise those moments of silent prayer today.
SONGS AT MASS (for Ministers of Music): Sing a New Song; The Lord Hears The Cry of the Poor; Be Not Afraid; Praise my Soul the King of Heaven.