Opening Comment (for the Presider)
‘Growing in Faith’ is suggested as the theme for this year’s Mission Sunday, as the Year of Faith draws to a close. These words remind us that faith is God’s precious gift — a gift we can’t keep to ourselves. Penitential Rite: As we prepare ourselves for this celebration, let us call to mind God’s generous mercy (pause): Lord Jesus, you came to gather the nations into the peace of God’s kingdom … You come in word and sacrament to strengthen us in holiness … You will come in glory with salvation for your people: Lord, have mercy.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (for Ministers of the Word)
Exodus 17:8-13 — The people of Israel trust in God’s help, communicated to them through their leader Moses: his determination wins the day.
2 Timothy 3: 14 to 4:2 Disciples keep to what they have been taught about God — and they proclaim the message, welcome or unwelcome
Luke 18 :1-8 — Jesus uses a parable to show that persistent prayer works.
Introduction (by the Presider) Our help is in the name of the Lord, so let us bring forward our intentions.
- For Pope Francis, as he continues on his new journey in life — shepherding, stewarding, and renewing the flock (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all believers, that they may see faith as God’s precious gift, making their lives more beautiful (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For Christians suffering persecution around the world — that they may have their human rights, equality and religious freedom recognised (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all missionaries, that God may bless them — particularly the missionaries born in this parish (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our own families — especially those among them who are sick, troubled or in need of God’s help. (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For our deceased missionaries, who await the resurrection in foreign fields — that God may bring them to their heavenly homeland (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O Lord, you are our guard and our shade, you protect your servants in their need: hear the prayers we make to you in trust, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Songs (for Ministers of Music) ‘Be Thou My Vision’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘’O The Love of My Lord’; Go Tell Everyone’.