Presider’s Page for 21 September (Ordinary Time 25)
God’s ways are not our ways. God’s love and generosity are beyond our understanding. We acknowledge all God has done for us, and ask for the grace to grow into God’s likeness.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from 1998 ICEL Missal)
God most high,
your ways are not our ways,
for your kindness is lavished equally upon all.
Teach us to welcome your mercy toward others,
even as we hope to receive mercy ourselves.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 55:6-9 — Both the first reading and Gospel remind us that God’s generosity exceeds our expectations. As high as the heavens are above the earth are God’s ways different from ours, proclaims Isaiah.
Philippians 1:20-24, 27 — Paul tells us that Christ means everything to him.
Matthew 20:1-16 — Jesus uses a story to show that God makes individual arrangements with each of his servants.
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord is close to all who call, so we ask for help in our needs:
- For all who follow the Christian way, that they may be glad of God’s boundless generosity (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For this community, that all may find a welcome here, especially the new residents in our parish (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For workers and those who employ others, that the rights of all may be respected (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who cannot find work, that their needs may not be forgotten (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For family members who have travelled abroad for employment, that God may keep them in his care (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
- For all the sick, particularly those near death, that they may experience comfort on the journey to their Father’s house (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
The presider prays for those who gone before us in faith (especially N and N), that the Lord’s generosity may assure them of a place in the kingdom (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us
Conclusion (by the Presider) God of kindness and compassion, you are close to all who call upon you: hear the prayers we make to you, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (suggestions): ‘Be Thou my Vision’; ‘Ag Críost an Síol’; ‘Now Thank We All Our God’.