Presider’s Page for 1st Sunday of Advent (1 December)
Opening Comment (for the Presider)
The season of Advent begins today. During the next 24 days we will look forward in hope. We will watch for the end times, when Christ will come in glory, Christ whose birthday we will celebrate very soon. Penitential Rite: Entering this time of waiting, let us remember God’s faithfulness as we call to mind our sins … Lord Jesus, you came to gather the nations into the peace of God’s kingdom … You come in word and sacrament to strengthen us in holiness …. You will come in glory with salvation: Lord, have mercy.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings (Year A) (for Ministers of the Word)
Isaiah 2:1-5 Isaiah gives a prophecy of a time of peace when all people will worship the one God.
Romans 13: 11-14 Paul advises the Romans to live decent lives.
Matthew 24: 37-44 We’re told to stay alert, because we don’t know when the Master is coming.
Introduction (by the Presider) Knowing that God is listening, let us make our prayers known.
- For Christians everywhere, who await the Lord’s return in glory, that they may be ready to meet him (pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- For the people in our world for whom there is no peace, especially the people of Syria, that war may soon be a distant memory. (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those in the Philippines still suffering after the typhoon, that relief may soon come their way (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people for whom this time of year brings anxiety, rather than happiness, that the peace of Christ may be theirs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For children who have been abandoned, that they may be protected (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For members of our community who are sick in mind or body, that the healing power of our God may touch them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for all who have died (especially N and N): that eternal rest may be theirs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Loving God, you want what is best for your people, hear our prayers and help us in our needs, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS FOR MASS (for Ministers of Music): Christ be our Light; O Comfort My People; O Come, O Come, Emmanuel; Maranatha.
Thankyou so much with helping me with appropiate Mass Hymns. Always keep you in my prayers. God Bless you always