Third Sunday Easter – Prayers of the Faithful etc
Throughout the Easter season, the Church continues to announce and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Penitential rite: As we gather with joy to worship God, let us call to mind our need of divine forgiveness: (pause) Lord Jesus, you healed the sick …. you forgave sinners … you give us yourself to heal us and bring us strength ….
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 3:13-15, 17-19 — Peter shows the people that what happened to Jesus was in accordance with God’s plan.
1 John 2:1-5 — Jesus is the one who takes away our sins. If we follow his way, we will live in love.
Luke 24:35-48 — Jesus shows he is no ghost, but fully human. In his name, repentance is to be preached to all the nations.
THE GENERAL INTERCESSIONS
Introduction (by the Presider) The Lord grants favours to those whom he loves, so we make our prayers known, with hope.
- For all who follow Christ, that their faith in the resurrection of Jesus may deepen (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who renewed their baptismal promises at Easter, that any lingering doubts may soon be dispersed (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For missionaries and all who spread the Good News about Jesus, that the joy of Easter may fill them with fresh zeal (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the Jewish people, the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, that they may arrive at the fullness of redemption (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who suffer, in mind, body or spirit, that they may experience divine healing and new strength (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who have died recently (especially N & N), that God’s light may shine on them perpetually (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) O God our salvation, your glory shines throughout the world to bring joy to your people: hear our prayers and grant us your all-powerful grace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Liturgical Suggestions: The penitential rite may be replaced with the blessing and sprinking of holy water (page 1353 – Easter Time) with the Gloria following immediately). Otherwise Penitential Act VII (page 1388). Preface of Easter 2. Eucharistic Prayer 2. Solemn Blessing 7 (Easter Season). Songs:‘Jesus Christ is Risen Today’, ‘Christ is Alive’, ‘He is Lord’.