Presider’s Page for 27 September (Ordinary Time 26)
All are welcome in this place: anyone who is not against us is for us. All may gather here to worship God our Saviour.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world
to inspire every heart
with knowledge and love of you.
Grant that we who confess Jesus as Lord
may shun whatever is contrary to this faith
and give witness to your love
that has saved us in Christ,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Numbers 11:25-29 — Moses is asked to prevent some followers from acting as prophets, but declines. God’s gifts are for all, not just a few.
James 5:1-6 — James condemns the rich, those who perceive they have no need of God.
Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48 — Jesus teaches his followers to recognise people who are helpful, and shows them how to deal with obstacles to faith.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, let us make our needs known to the Lord.
- For the people of Cuba and the USA, that their faith may grow stronger after Pope Francis’ visit (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the men and women called to minister in the Church, that the Spirit may help them to become good servants (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who feel betrayed by church scandals, that they may see their Church renewed in humility and penitence (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the rich and wealthy — that they may remember the divine call to share (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the refugees seeking food and shelter — that they may benefit from the generosity of better-off nations (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the people in our community who are sick — that the Lord may raise them up to health and wholeness (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
The Presider prays for the dead: For those who have died (N and N), and all our people who have gone before us in faith, that they may receive the reward of their labours (pause for quiet prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) Eternal God, you give wisdom to those who rely on you: send us the grace we need each day, we beseech you, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘Be Thou My Vision’; ‘The Lord Hears the Cry of the Poor’; ‘One Bread, One Body’; ‘If God is For Us’.