Presider’s Page for 12 October (Ordinary Time 28)
We gather as fellow-pilgrims at this Sunday’s eucharist, all travelling towards the great banquet of heaven. In our Communion today, we get a taste of what is to come.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
God of goodness and kindness,
you invite all peoples to the banquet
and offer them a feast beyond compare.
Give us your saving grace
to keep unstained the robe of our baptism
until that day when you welcome us
to heaven’s joyful table.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Isaiah 25:6-10 — A vision of the feast prepared for us in heaven, when death is no more and tears are a thing of the past.
Philippians 4:12-14, 19-20 — Paul thanks his flock in Philippi for their support, and speaks of his confidence in Christ.
Matthew 22:1-14 — A vision of the wedding banquet at the end of life.
Introduction (by the Presider) Brothers and sisters, let us make our prayers to God, who gently shepherds all the flock.
- For Christians — that their belief in life after death may sustain them in difficult times (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who minister to the bereaved — that their own faith in the resurrection may help them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For people who live with violence — that the Lord may grant peace to those parts of the world most battered by war (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For each of us, in our everyday lives — that we may encourage each other (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For couples preparing for marriage — that the gentle shepherd may show them the right path (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those gathered for the Synod on the Family in Rome — that the Lord may bless their efforts (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead (especially N and N), that a place at the eternal banquet may be theirs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our shepherd, you invite us to your table in heaven: give us the grace we need on our journey there, we pray, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) ‘The Lord’s my Shepherd’; ‘Eat This Bread’; ‘Stay with us Lord’.