Presider’s Page for 3 May (Easter 5)
Like branches of one tree, we are held together by our faith in Christ. Because we are all part of this one living plant, we come together in thanksgiving and praise.
Alternative Opening Prayer (from the 1998 ICEL Missal)
you graft us onto Christ, the true vine,
and, with tireless care,
you nurture our growth in knowledge and reverence.
Tend the vineyard of your Church,
that in Christ each branch may bring forth
to the glory of your name
abundant fruits of faith and love.
Grant this through Jesus Christ, the resurrection and the life,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever.
Introduction to the Scripture Readings
Acts 9:26-31 — Saul, a former persecutor of Christians, preaches at Jerusalem for the first time after his conversion.
1 John 3:18-24 — Living God’s way involves not just words, but genuine love for each other.
John 15:1-8 — Without a life-giving connection to Christ, our faith will wither and fade. Christ invigorates us.
Introduction (by the Presider) Praising God for the wonders of creation, we bring our prayers to the Lord.
- For all the baptised, that they may never be separated from Christ, the true vine (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For the people of Nepal, suffering after the earthquake, that all the world may help them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For immigrants who cross the Mediteranean to find a better life, that they may be protected from every danger (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who persecute others and treat them badly, that, like St Paul, they may change their ways (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For all who grow crops for their livelihood, that God may be in their work, sustaining and encouraging them (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
- For those who face exams this summer, that God’s gifts of serenity and calm may be theirs (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
The presider prays for the dead: For all whose pilgrimage on earth is over (especially N & N) that they may reach their final destination, at the Father’s house (pause for silent prayer). Lord, hear us.
Conclusion (by the Presider) God our creator, we praise you for your mighty deeds: hear the prayers your faithful people make, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
SONGS AT MASS (Suggestions) Christ is Alive, Now the Green Blade Rises, Ag Críost an Síol, Bring Flowers of the Fairest.